If you’re looking for a cocktail that feels like a mini vacation in a glass, this tropical rum drink is your answer. Inspired by the popular concoction at Chicago’s Three Dots and a Dash, this cocktail balances the rich flavors of pineapple and rum with the unique bitterness of Campari.
- 3 ounces (90ml) fresh pineapple juice (from about 1 1/2 cups or 200g fresh pineapple chunks; see note)
- 1/2 ounce (15ml) Grade B maple syrup
- 1 ounce (30ml) fresh juice from 1 to 2 limes
- 1 1/2 ounces (45ml) Campari
- 1 1/2 ounces (45ml) blackstrap rum (such as Cruzan)
- 1 1/2 ounces (45ml) Navy-strength Jamaican rum (such as Smith & Cross)
- 8 standard ice cubes (about 160g)
- Pineapple leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Combine pineapple juice, maple syrup, lime juice, Campari, blackstrap rum, and Navy-strength rum in a resealable container. Seal the container and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours, and up to 10 hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, take the chilled cocktail mixture out of the freezer. Pour it into a blender and add 8 ice cubes. Blend until the mixture is smooth and uniform.
- Divide the blended cocktail between two glasses. Garnish with pineapple leaves if desired, and serve immediately.
To get the best flavor, it’s important to use fresh pineapple juice. Canned pineapple juice lacks the vibrant, tropical flavor of fresh pineapple and can throw off the balance of the cocktail.
That said, making fresh pineapple juice is straightforward. Simply muddle pineapple chunks in a bowl and strain the juice through a fine-mesh strainer to remove any pulp.
This cocktail is a tropical delight that showcases a harmonious blend of fruity, sweet, and bitter flavors. The two different types of rum add depth and complexity, making it a perfect drink for those looking to escape to a tropical paradise, even if just for a moment. Cheers!