If you cherish the lusciousness of milky lattes and the creamy profile of Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream, this recipe offers a delightful treat. With a base that’s luxuriously rich, accented with a clear note of coffee, and just a hint of bitterness to balance the sweetness, it’s bound to satisfy your ice cream cravings.
Here’s how you can make it.
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons medium grind coffee
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (adjust to taste)
- In a sturdy saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and coffee to achieve a smooth mixture. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream and whole milk until it’s fully combined with the yolk mixture.
- Place the saucepan on medium-low heat. Continuously whisk the mixture, ensuring that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
Cook until a thick custard forms — you’ll know it’s ready when you can coat the back of a spoon with the custard and draw a clear line with your finger across it. Alternatively, use a thermometer to check if the custard has reached 170°F (77°C).
- Add in the kosher salt and whisk it in. Adjust the salt to suit your taste preference.
- Pour the custard through a fine mesh strainer to get rid of any solids, ensuring a silky texture for your ice cream. For a quick cooldown, place the strained custard in an ice bath, or you can cool it in the refrigerator. Ensure the custard cools to about 40°F (4°C).
- Once the custard is adequately chilled, transfer it to your ice cream maker. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to churn the mixture until it’s thick and creamy.
- Transfer the churned ice cream to an airtight container. Place it in the freezer and let it harden for at least 4 hours.
This step ensures the ice cream sets well, offering a creamy consistency when scooped.
Once you’re done, you can then serve the ice cream in bowls or cones and enjoy the delightful fusion of creamy texture and robust coffee flavor.
You can choose to garnish with chocolate shavings or a drizzle of caramel for an added touch of indulgence. Enjoy!