Announcing the new Tommy O’s Cocktail menu

Posted by TraderTiki on December 3rd, 2008 — Posted in Bilge, Events

if you haven’t noticed, it’s been a bit quieter around these parts lately.  Nothing but the internet version of tumbleweeds rolling across the screen.  Well, my apologies for that, it’s been quite a bit busy here at Trader Tiki headquarters.  So I’m sure you’re wondering, in your dreams and during the day, just WHAT have I been up to? (and seriously, if you’ve had any Trader Tiki related dreams, don’t blame me, blame the Rum!)

Lately, I’ve been working on a cocktail consulting project, where I was able to assist my friend David with menu and ingredient development for a new restaurant location.  After many weeks of work, today, I’m beyond pleased to announce the Grand Opening of Tommy O’s in Camas, WA on Friday, December 5th!

If you’ve ever been to Tommy O’s in downtown Vancouver, you know the quality of the food and service to be barnone.   The cocktail menu though, maybe not so much.  The drinks were decent, but a bit behind the times.  Well, times have changed, and the cocktail menu for the Camas restaurant is now robust with cocktail classics, and bold new drinks, and a few seasonal delights.  Beyond the standard cocktail menu, the bar staff is armed with 30 classic and modern drinks to please any palate.  If you thought that was enough, the bartenders are also being trained in classic technique, stirring and shaking and jiggering, taught by one of the best bartenders I know, David Shenaut of Teardrop Lounge.

Here’s a look at the new cocktail menu.

Daiquiri
Rum, Lime, and Gomme Syrup

Kokio Blossom
Vodka, St Germaine Elderflower Liqueur, Lemon and Egg White, garnished with a Housemade Hibiscus Tincture

Liliko’i Margarita
Tequila, Chambord, Passion Fruit, Freshly made sour mix, and a Li Hing Mui rim

Macadamia Manhattan
Rye, Sweet Vermouth, and Housemade Macadamia Bitters

Martinez
Gin, Sweet Vermouth, Maraschino Liqueur, Orange Bitters, garnished with Lemon Zest

Old Wood
Dry Fly Gin, Chartreuse, Sweet Vermouth and Campari.  Misted with a Flamed Housemade Old Wood bitters

Spice Tonic
A Housemade Tonic made for winter weather, served with your choice of base spirit.

Tommy O’s Mai Tai
A blend of aged rums, Lime, Curacao, Orgeat, and Falernum.

Hot Buttered Rum
Cider, Rum, and Housemade Hot Buttered Rum Batter

Zombie
Lime, Lemon, Pineapple, Passionfruit, Bitters, and a blend of three aged rums.

You may be able to point out a few particular points of influence I had there.  Yes, the Mai Tai is branded.  Changing the name of a classic to suit a recipe tweak is fine by me.  Feel absolutely free to order it Trader Vic style.

The new Tommy O’s is located in Camas, Washington, at SE 34th and SE 192nd.  Hope to see you there sometime!

7 Comments »

Comment by Doc Tongue

Nice!!!

Yeah - but it’s in CAMAS……….

Posted on December 5, 2008 at 10:53 am

Comment by Gardenchik

We got there just before 6, just in time to catch a Happy Hour Mai Tai for $4 and an order of coconut shrimp! This was just a great start to a wonderful meal– I had fish ( monk fish or butterfish?) and my hubby had the flank steak. Both were perfect as the server describe. Service was excellent, mood was fun and spirited, and there are menu items of varying prices, something that is nice depending on our budeget–we will definitely be back. PS- Although it has a Camas address, the other side of the street is Vancouver. It’s just 10 minutes from the !-205 bridge.

Posted on December 7, 2008 at 9:34 am

Comment by Jen

I had the worst restaurant experience of my life here:
1) It took 1 hr. from the time we ordered to get our salads.
2) The food came about 1 hr. 15 min. later. I had $24 halibut and it was a small piece of luke warm,dry halibut, crusted in coconut/macademia nuts (AND THAT’S ALL…for $24) with brown rice drizzled with a simple teryiaki sauce and a small side of cucumber salad…for $24. I asked to have it recooked…and it was still mediocre.
3) I saw someone return a drink. I saw a table full of half eaten plates of food that people left.
4) Even the creme brulee tasted strange to my whole family. We’ve never had bad creme brulee
5) As we left, no host or manager said “Bye” or “Have a nice night.” Some guy that was either the owner or the manager was drinking at the bar, like things were going so smoothly.

This restaurant is beyond horrific in every aspect. Never seen such a bad restaurant.

Posted on December 24, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Comment by james

First of all, you did not consult about or invent the Liliko’i. It has been on Tommy O’s downtown menu long before you were involved.

Second of all, the new location is a disaster.

Third of all, the drink list is a horrible fit for the clientele. Good luck trying to get people in Camas to give a crap about elderberry liquer, housemade bitters, etc. Actually good luck selling a drink that has an egg shaken. None of that stuff will ever sell, so quit wasting your time.

Posted on December 31, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Comment by Therese

I’ve been in three times in the past two weeks and have tried the Mai Tai, the Lilik’o Margarita and the Kokio Blossom. All were excellent - the Kokio Blossom even sublime. Everything I’ve ordered to eat has been equally excellent, and the service was friendly, efficient, informed and refreshingly unpretentious. Really, I can’t complain about a thing, and I’m looking forward to returning and trying out some of the other cocktails

Then again, maybe I’m just an easy-to-please hick from Camas….

Posted on January 9, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Comment by Hannah

I too, must be another easy to please Camas resident though I’ve only lived here four months.
I’m from L.A. and Portland area and must say this Camas Tommy O’s has the best food, cocktails and service I’ve experienced in years. I love the downtown location but this is a totally different experience, and a very appreciated one by me. From the gorgeous decor and well informed staff to the perfectly prepared foods and inspiring drinks, it simply does not get any better than this in Camas or ANYWHERE! Twilight Pizza in downtown Camas is also the best pizza (by the slice, not the pie) I’ve ever had.
The idea to put this location in Camas was brilliant, for Camas is not just some little hick town,just come visit and you will find out for yourselves the residents of Camas have the intelligence, taste and more often than not, the funds to enjoy this fabulous place at their leisure.

Posted on January 14, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Comment by Jenny

Excellent food and service. My girlfriends and I went for our annual Christmas dinner. The service was excellent and the food came quickly. The restaurant is beautiful and the price is so reasonable. We will all be back.

Posted on January 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm